Monday 6 June 2011

Something a little different!

Argh!!! Scary news - I have entered into my first dressage competition with Diesel on the 25th June. Its just a prelim test and we won't be doing the cantering, really I just want to get him used to the 'feel' of a competition. Getting really nervous already though!

Anyway, I decided to go for something a little different today (my decision being fueled by a busy yard and a queue for both schools), and I took Diesel into the jumping field to lunge him. He absolutely loved it! Even thought he has never seen a XC style jump before we only had one spook the first time - when he attempted to drag me across the field sideways. After that he just sailed over them all! I am so proud of him. It was nice to have a little something different for him to concentrate on and keep his interest, plus he worked up a bit of a sweat, which is useful for a rather chubby native!
Back to schooling tomorrow, and a look over my dressage test sheet shows me I have a lot to work on, so tomorrow it's straightness in trot and free walk on a long rein. A long rein is something of a sticking point with Diesel, who feels the need to do a massively extended trot to the other end of the school as soon as the rein contact is dropped, so it is definitely something to work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment